Purpose of the position:
Under the direct supervision of the Accountant, the Assistant Accountant will be responsible for budgeting and financial reporting for Uganda Country Office.
- Participate in preparing Country Office budgets and monitor budget implementation processes;
- Perform in-depth analyses of the financial aspects of the budget and make appropriate recommendations;
- Monitor expenditures against budgets and allotments and analyze their trends;
- Advise the Finance & Administration Manager on budgetary issues and procedures;
- Provide regular adhoc financial information to the Accountant to support informed financial decision making;
- Maintain suppliers and service providers accounts and process timely clearance of outstanding advances and other receivables;
- Ensure that all payments are processed and payments made in a timely manner.
- Monitor and report variances and trends and provide responses to inquiries concerning them;
- Prepare cash flow forecasts and monitor cash flow levels in the bank to ensure constant availability of funds;
- Verify and confirm monthly petty cash reconciliations and cash count with every subsequent replenishment.
- Process of all withdrawal applications and disbursement requests with the required support documentation and submission of the same to the Finance & Administration Manager in a timely manner.
- Verify all travel advances and travel expenditure accounting reports and process the clearing journals into the accounting application and ensure that all previous month’s travel advances are reconciled and have proper supporting original documents.
- Review expenditures as per the approved budgetary allotments and payment authorizations in accordance with Organisation financial rules and regulations;
- Monitor compliance with financial regulations, rules and procedures for all financial transactions;
- Maintain financial records and prepare monthly financial reports in accordance with procedures established by Organisation ESARPO and project.
- Input data, and extract relevant information from the financial accounting software in use.
- On a daily basis, verify and update the accounting application all transactions keyed in by the Accounts Assistant.
- Processing and keying of the receipts into the FMS.
- Draft correspondences and internal procedural directives relating to budgetary and financial matters;
- Support internal and external audit exercises;
- Maintain and update the withdrawal applications files with all support documentation and to facilitate review and audit of project audits;
- By 10th every month prepare and submit to the Finance & Administration Manager the following financial reports; the bank reconciliations statements for all Project; bank accounts statement of outstanding debtors including travel advances and pending creditors list and other outstanding liabilities.
- Within 30 days after the financial year, prepare and reconcile the Projects’ year end financial statement with supporting schedules in preparation for external audit.
- Provide support in preparation and submission of expenditure financial reports as may be required.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- A university degree in Commerce, Economics, Business Administration or related field will be an added advantage;
- Three years’ experience in a busy finance / accounting office;
- Developed financial management / accounting skills are essential;
- Advanced computer skills, particularly knowledge of MS Excel, -mail and intranet tools software especially ACCPAC.
- Thorough understanding of international and local finance and accounting systems;
- Good knowledge of fund accounting.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to set priorities and complete tasks with minimum supervision;
- Experience in implementing and monitoring the compliance of F&A system, policies and procedures, preferably in the context of an international organization;
- Ability to work independently and effectively under pressure and adherence to strict deadlines;
- Basic knowledge of environmental and conservation issues in Uganda;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment that is sensitive to cultural, religious and gender differences and promoting team synergy;
- Good report writing skills;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Adherence to Organisations’ values, which are: Optimistic, Engaging, Determined and Knowledgeable.
Internal: Works closely with all relevant functions in Organisation; Engages with and support Organisation staff; Interacts with Organisation Finance teams; Works with and provides support to Organisation International auditors for related issues.
External: Interact regularly with government agencies, donors, counterparts, banks, external auditors, consultants, suppliers, etc.