With more than twelve years’ experience in management and execution of engineering projects in reputable companies and organizations, I am ambitious, well qualified, capable and eager to join an esteemed and reputable organization in this capacity. I thrive in fast paced and highly regulated environments where production deadlines are a priority and handling multi-disciplinary projects simultaneously is the norm.
I am a qualified Civil Engineer with a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and a Diploma in Building and Civil Engineering, adept in construction planning and management, safety management, facilities management, project scheduling, cost estimation and control, quality control and assurance. While my on-the-job experience has afforded me a well-rounded skill set, including first rate critical thinking and communication skills. I’ve successfully handled and coordinated several projects from inception to the end carrying out duties among others; making budgets for projects basing on the annual work plans and budgets, designing and planning of projects to ensure best outcomes, making of cost estimates of projects in order to have best results at minimum cost and finally monitor the execution of projects to ensure they conform to standards and specifications. I have also been involved with procurement of materials, services and contractors by participating in technical evaluations and monitoring the delivery of these items.
I am currently working as a Civil Engineer in providing project monitoring and quality assurance services at the United Nations Entebbe Support Base. I have also worked with other reputable local construction companies and for one international consultancy firm where I fulfilled several responsibilities like project monitoring and quality assurance services, project planning and scheduling, estimation, job hazard assessment, quality control and supervision of construction works.
I also have knowledge of computer applications and report writing relevant to engineering practice which simplifies my work as an Engineer. I am a proactive, self-motivated and considerate person who works under minimum supervision. My excellent planning and organizational skills have enabled me to contribute much towards the companies/organizations I’ve worked for.
I thank you in advance for your consideration.
June 2002 to June 2006
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering at Makerere University
Degree – Second Class Upper
May 1998 to May 2000
Diploma in Building & Civil Engineering at Uganda Technical College Masaka
Diploma – Credit
1995 to 1997
High School at St Joseph' Vocational School
Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE)
1991 to 1994
Ordinary Secondary Level at St Joseph' Vocational School
Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE)
June 2018 to date
Civil Engineer at United Nations Office for Project Support – UNOPS
• Overall supervision of projects assigned and ensure the quality provided by the contractor on assigned projects is as prescribed. • Preparation of project documents for initiation of inhouse projects for review and approval by the unit Chief Engineer. • Preparation of weekly and monthly reports for submission to management. • Preparation of scope of works, specifications, Bill of Quantities and drawings for outsourced supplies and construction projects. • Review of contract conditions for construction projects with procurement section before contract award. • Undertake Technical evaluation of supplier’s bids and proposals for provision of services. • Monitor suppliers’ and contractors’ adherence to safety, health and environmental compliance UN policies and national standards. • Preparation of project end and closure reports. • Evaluation of suppliers and contractor’s performance.
August 2016 to May 2018
Project Site Supervisor - Civil Engineer at United Nations – Regional Service Centre Entebbe
• Assist Project Management Team to provide the Contractor’ possession of site according to approved design and scope of work with clear boundaries, coordinates, levels and access route as predefined. • Inspect and confirm the contractor’s setting-out of works to ensure construction is in-line with the approved design. • Monitor contractor’ adherence to safety, health and environmental compliance with UN policies and national standards and record of incidents /accidents. • Provide full-time daily site supervision of the construction progress on all works related to civil engineering including plumbing networks to ensure that the work is done are as per the pre-defined specifications. • Advise the Project Manager or his delegated authority for action on technical contractual issues in case of deviations from site instruction. • Coordinate and collaborate with other site supervisors (such as Site Supervisor for Electromechanical works) to ensure that cross cutting issues are addressed on time. • Track all change requests by the contractor and record variations/omissions; maintain a master list of all proposed changes and the approval records; Inspect the material samples, witness tests and evaluate laboratory test results provided by the Contractor to ensure conformity to specifications and make recommendations to Project Manager. • Review and evaluate technical submissions (related to civil and plumbing related items) from contractors applicable to the project. These include survey reports, time schedules, shop drawings, quality assurance/control plan, work methodologies and make appropriate recommendations to the Project Manager. • Review the potential changes in final quantity that may affect the project cost and inform the Project Manager. • Review contractor’s work progress; provide measurements of work done, prepare weekly and monthly reports with all supporting documents, preparation of As-built drawings.
November 2015 to June 2016
Civil Engineer at PRAS Tecnica Edilizia Srl, Rome - Italy
• Inspection of construction works for conformity to contract documentation • Monitor and supervise the contractor’ compliance with the construction design, scope and contract • Monitor and supervise the contractor’ progress vis a vis contract schedule and quality of contractors’ works vis a vis applicable technical specifications and design • Ensuring that works comply with the approved engineering design and technical specifications, agreed schedule and budget, terms and conditions of the contract, standard engineering practice • Ensuring that the construction methods proposed by the contractor for carrying out the works are satisfactory and design requirements are implemented following the contract specifications • Inspection of contractor’s construction equipment, material tests, safety of the works, property and personnel • Clarifying details and descriptions during construction as required and providing guidance to the contractor in the implementation of the contract • Witnessing and reviewing all tests carried both on and off site • Implement procedures to verify contractor’s performance and report progress and problems, including quality control reports, requests for variations or change orders and contractor’ application for payments, claims and invoices • Ensuring compliance with Environmental, Health and Safety policies in respect of the project • Verification of measured works’ invoices submitted by the contractor confirming that the data provided is accurate as per on-site measurements undertaken and that the submission is in conformity with the contract terms • Report and update the works implementation schedule highlighting any unforeseen delays and timely proposal of corrective measures • Inspection and verification of the rectification of defects • Maintenance of storage and retrieval system of records documenting information in respect of work progress, decisions made at meetings, progress of civil works, certified achievements and milestones, any deviations from or changes to the contract plans, correspondences, site diaries. Quality control reports, shop drawings and progress reports • Preparation of daily and weekly reports on the progress of works and update of construction schedule to monitor compliance of the contractor.
August 2013 to October 2015
Project Engineer at Roko Construction Ltd
• Supervise, control and coordinate a team of two junior engineers and foremen in execution of building & civil works on two apartment blocks. • Supervise and coordinate subcontract works for masonry, finishing, electrical and mechanical works. • Review the project master schedule to plan, track and set timelines to achieve planned target dates. • Review subcontract measured works for preparation work certificates and approval for payment. • Preparation of material procurement schedule for easy tracking of lead times, sample submissions, approvals and order for procurement. • Liaison with the site Health and Safety officer in implementation, enforcing and monitoring of site safety procedures and adherence. • Quality control and assurance.
November 2012 to July 2013
Site Agent at Pearl Engineering Company Ltd
• Supervision, control and coordination of all civil works being executed. • Strict Implementation and monitoring of Environmental, Health and Safety procedures on site. • Ensure quality control measures and procedures are adhered to by strict adherence to the Quality Assurance Plan. • Prepare equipment and resource requirement schedule for civil works. • Preparation of daily progress report for submission to the client. • Liaison and correspondence with local communities in ensuring community needs are preserved with to environmental, health and welfare requirements as agreed with the client and the communities are maintained and adhered to and local resource sourcing on a weekly basis.
August 2007 to October 2012
Project Manager at Excel Construction Company Ltd
• Supervision, control and coordination of all civil works being executed. • Supervision and coordination of all subcontract works. • Implementation and monitoring of Environmental, Health and Safety procedures on site which entailed: i) Preparation of Safety Induction Forms. ii) Preparation of Emergency Response Plans. iii) Preparation of Daily Toolbox meetings/talks. iv) Preparation of pre-job safety meetings with new employees. v) Preparation of Site safety plans. vi) Preparation of Incident report forms. • Ensure quality control measures and procedures are adhered to by strict adherence to the Quality Assurance Plan. • Preparation of progress reports, interim valuations and implementation of progress control measures. • Drawing up scope of works for subcontractors which entailed: i) Preparation of agreements and terms of reference. ii) Preparation of Bills of Quantities for specialized works. • Coordination with the procurement department in preparation of material procurement schedules. • Liaison and correspondence with consultants, representation of the company in monthly site meetings with all stakeholders.
July 2006 to July 2007
Planning and Estimating Engineer at Excel Construction Company Ltd
• Pricing and estimation of tenders using cost and market rates. • Appraisal of tender documentation and preliminary inquiries. • Analysis of designs for preparation of Bills of Quantities for Projects. • Preparing estimates for purposes of planning and organization. • Scheduling work-resource schedules (materials, equipment, labour and sub-contractors). • Preparation of project cash flows, budgets. • Preparation and tracking of work programs using project software. • Monitoring project costs and preparation of cost and progress reports. • Measure final costs/quantities at completion of projects. • Preparation of progress claims for executed works under third party and company contracts. • Preparation of payment certificates for company projects. • Preparation and updating of monthly basis material unit cost rates, component cost rates and component bid rates. • Responsible for establishing, maintaining, monitoring and improving Quality Management System of the company. Visitation of on-going projects to ensure implementation of Quality management system and procedures and Assurance of Safety and Health on sites. • Estimation of material required for the awarded contracts, thorough scrutiny of Material Indents from various sites. • Prepare preliminaries for inclusion in the tender price. • Prepare method statement for tender submission. • Attend tender adjudication meetings with the management prior to submission.
January 2001 to October 2002
General Foreman at Excel Construction Company Ltd
• Supervision of demolition works. • Supervision of construction works. • Measurement of works done. • Preparation of interim valuations.
- Technical skills.
- Organizational awareness.
- Reputable work ethics and values.
- Creative and innovative.
- Good skills in problem solving.
- Good report writing skills.
- Human resource mobilization, management of people skills and collaboration.
- Negotiation and communication skills, good public relations.
- Personal initiative, planning and time management.
- Analytical and decision-making skills.
- Good interpretation of contract law.
- Proficient computer literacy in Microsoft Office Tools, MS Project and AutoCAD Applications.
Eng. Stephen Kawuma
Associated Engineering Services Consulting Engineers
Director & Partner
+256 772 461012
Eng. Stephen Kangwamu
Multi- konsults Ltd
+256 772 741321
+256 701 650587