Reporting: Finance Manager
Purpose of the position:
The Finance Analyst is responsible for budget preparation and control, recording and reflecting fully, accurately, clearly and in a timely manner the funds that are allocated and the disbursements made to support project implementation, in accordance with the approved documents and the liquidation of expenditures on an annual and quarterly basis as well as upon project termination. The Finance Analyst will ensure the use of standard financial and accounting procedures in line with the Organisation Field Office Manual and Project Management Guidelines.
- Planning and budgeting: Participate in the preparation of annual and quarterly work plans and budgets; prepare periodic call for funds ,Participate in progress reporting meetings with the Project Manager, Assist the Organisation Finance Manager in project budget monitoring and revision.
- Accounting/Reporting: Prepare financial reports, review entries posted in the accounting system, analyze financial reports, bank reconciliations, reconcile all balance sheet accounts and maintain records on file; Prepare other financial reports for agreement by the Finance Manager and the Project Managers.
- Monitor and ensure expenditure of project and core office funding is made in accordance with procedures, with the approved budget limits and approved as appropriate.
- Check budget lines to ensure that all transactions are correctly booked to the correct budget lines; Ensure documentation relating to payments are duly approved by the Programme Manager
- Prepare Project Cash flow statement on monthly basis and share the same with the Programme Manager and Financial Manager.
- Check Project expenditure requests against budget and cash flow position to ensure sufficient cash balance at all times.
- Call for funds from the donors when submitting periodical donor reports.
- Generate monthly Budget Vs Actual variance Analysis report and submit the same with Account Analysis to the Programme Manager for review and confirmation of acceptance of costs posted to the account.
- Report any actual or potential financial issues to the Finance Manager and the Project Manager, as appropriate.
- Continuously improve systems & procedures to enhance internal controls to satisfy audit requirements.
- Maintain an inventory file to support purchases of all equipment/assets.
- Support external and internal audits, ensure audit recommendations are implemented.
- Supervision of project accountants and assistant accountants
- Undertake any other duties assigned by the Finance Manager, the Programme Coordinator and Country Director
- Organisation: Works closely with the Programme Coordinator, Project Managers, M&E focal persons and the Finance Manager.
- Engages with and supervises Organisation finance staff.
- Organisation Network: Coordinates and interacts with Organisation ROA and Organisation International finance colleagues.
- Liaises regularly with donors, implementing agencies and counterparts.
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field and At least level 2 of CPA/ACCA.
- Knowledge of budgeting, planning and reporting on donor funded projects.
- Knowledge/Experience of working with accounting packages e.g.: Oracle, Sun systems etc.
- Strong Book-keeping/ Accounting skills. Good knowledge of administrative and accounting regulations and International Accounting Standards/GAAP
- At least four years of experience in finance and accounting of donor funded projects.
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience of working in an NGO or a civil society organisation working on monitoring and evaluation.
General and Technical Skills
- Leadership and Networking
- Coaching and capacity building/development
- Presentation and communications
- Teamwork and virtual support / coaching
- Planning, organisation, time management, facilitation, and coordination
- Good written and spoken English
- Proficiency in MS Office and the web
General Ability and Personality
- Working within tight deadlines
- Working both independently and in multidisciplinary teams, particularly in the implementation of cross-country activities and projects, and multi-donor programmes
Impartial and Patient